Pauline Tallen, former Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, has denied involvement in the alleged N2billion fraud in her ministry.

Tallen said this when she spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Tuesday, saying that investigation by the Economic and Economic Crimes Commission (EFCC) was triggered by a false alarm.

“There was no money missing anywhere in the Ministry that I superintended for four years, be it the alleged N500 million or N2billion being reported in some section of the media.

“The allegation and investigations were prompted by a false allegation by the an individual that said that I collected N500m meant for the African First Ladies’ Mission Complex (AFLM) headquarters in Abuja, but failed to disburse it,” she said.

Confirming that N500 million was actually released to the ministry by the Ministry of Finance, Tallen said the money was disbursed as received, with documentary evidence.

“It’s a price that one must pay for holding a leadership position. Last month, someone accused me of collecting N500 million meant for AFLM but that I failed to disburse it.

“It sounded strange to me because government funds are never transferred to personal bank accounts of serving ministers. The minister is not the accounting officer of the ministry. It is the Permanent Secretary.

“I have all the documentary evidences here with me, I’ll show you if you don’t mind. The documents clearly state how the money was received and disbursed,” she said.

The former minister added that the money was a support from the Ministry of Finance for the AFLPM, which was released through the Ministry of Women Affairs since AFLPM was not an agency.

“I was never involved in the process of the disbursement of money. The two presidential aides and the ministry’s Permanent Secretary were the ones involved and due process was followed in the disbursement. The documentary proof is there.